Thursday, February 25, 2010

Progress Check In


Sorry I've been MIA lately...first there was the conference in DC from Friday-Monday night, and then I left my chargers in DC, so I've been unable to really write anything new. Without these chargers, I don't have a new picture. I know that most of you are my facebook friend, and have maybe seen this, but I thought it would work for today because it was taken over the weekend, and my first thought when I saw it was that I looked really good in it! I have like the worst self esteem ever, so I was happy to have a reason to say that I like myeslf. But, I did want to do a quick update:

First, I was having a hard time keeping up with my eating goals at first, but thankfully I have been doing better. To remind y'all, my goals were to: stop eating a lunchtime dessert, drink more water, and eat more vegetables. I've finally stopped eating the desserts, and I know I have because I've avoided some serious temptations. For water, that has been a slower process, but luckily in the last few days thanks to my other update, I have been drinking more water. Veggies are a bit trickier because I keep justifying things like pizza sauce and the one string of red pepper I found in my beef/cheese enchilada. But for sure, this week my goals have been better than last week.


Also, I FINALLY started going to the gym-thanks to my friend Anne Marie, who provides a great reason to do it-she's going with me. Thanks to her, I went both last night and tonight, working out about as hard as I ever have. Both times I ran on the eliptical for a half hour, which is twice what I normally do. If you take what the machine says seriously, I ran for about 2 miles, and lost 240? calories, but I'm not sure the exact numbers there. Basically, I feel great. We're also working our way into building confidences with using weights and such around others in the gym.


As I said before, I am going to agree to do any suggestions that come my way for this, provided that I don't have to spend money on them. Recently, my friend Kate Mooney-SMC alumn/AIDS activist/great person suggested that I go see the school's nutritionist. That is in fact free, so I still have to make the appointment, but I'm going to try to go next week.


Goals coming up:

My new goal, that I avoided starting today is to eat a salad or a wrap every day for lunch. We'll see how that goes, I might have to include something else because I find that salads are not usually filling enough to get me through the day.


I'm also setting the goal of forcing myself going to the gym 7 times before I make a decision about whether or not I'm really ready to do this. The hope is that by this point I will have overcome my fears, and will have made it into a habit that I wont want to stop doing.


Again, I'm a bit new with excersize/diet stuff, so suggestions for tips and things to try would be GREAT! Thanks again for the support, I appreciate it so much.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Madison, You're right, that is a great picture of you!This might be silly, but you asked for suggestions on the exercise front, so here's what works for me: keep track (I put little stars on a calendar -- colorcoded for different types of exercise or amounts of running); have an exercise buddy (looks like you already do, but more than one doesn't hurt); and start thinking about exercise more broadly (like maybe a goal could be to try a new activity -- Zumba class, hike, etc -- once a week or once a month). Great job on going to the gym, and I think you're right to go at least 7 times before you make a decision. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete